Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Boulder Creek Kayak Action

Boulder Creek finally started flowing last week and I had a few really fun runs on it that were captured on camera by friends on the banks.

On Friday, I ran Lower Boulder Canyon for the first time ever at a manageable level of 300cfs. Most of the run was straightforward, but the Elephant Buttress was a bit tricky and it wound up flipping me about 3/4 of the way through the rapid. I rolled up after bouncing along some rocks and finished the run with a smile on my face!

The following day, the water started really pumping on all the rivers and creeks in Colorado as a result of the continuous warm weather, and Boulder Creek shot up to over 800cfs! I was on the Poudre River all weekend (4.5-5ft), but when I got back into town on Monday, I went out for a town run at 700cfs with a few friends. There were lots of playful waves throughout the run and we were lucky to have a friend of a friend (David) take some beautiful photographs of us in a play wave near the library. We finished up with margaritas at the Playa Azul take out which officially confirmed for me that summer has arrived!

Be sure to check out the photos in this Boulder Creek photo album.

No comments: