Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Life Writing Class

Writing has become one of the most rewarding yet challenging activities in my life. Last year at this time, I was wandering along trails in New Zealand and considering the role of writing in my life. Among the many considerations, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to make a deliberate effort to improve my own writing. So when the Boulder Valley School District course catalog for Lifelong Learning classes showed up in my mailbox and I saw a class called Life Writing, I jumped at the opportunity and immediately signed up.

The class follows a workshop format with 10 adult students who all aspire to further enrich the role of writing within their lives. It is only a 4 week class, and there are weekly homework assignments. The writing assignments are short in length (1 page) and are meant to stimulate the students’ need to write about their own life events. After authoring 2 of the 3 essays so far, I decided it would be worth it to share my stories on this site. This is definitely a bit of a deviation for me in terms of content on this site, but it has been fun to expand my own boundaries and see where my writing goes. I am definitely looking for critiques, so don’t hesitate to tell me what you really think!

  • Week 1 Homework Theme: “I forgot who I was…” and my response, The Recital
  • Week 2 Homework Theme: “Work’s nuts!” and my response, Ceiling Fans in the Sky
  • Week 3 Homework Theme: “To See or Not to See—That is the Question!” and my response, The West

No comments: