Saturday, December 3, 2011

GoPro Hero2 camera

I finally bought a GoPro helmet camera and have been dying to try it out. Unfortunately, it’s been a little too chilly to kayak and I’m not quite ready to mount it on my RC plane or quadcopter, but I’ve always wondered how River Dog sees the world. So this morning I had a little fun playing with the new camera and then figured out how to use my new PowerDirector video editing software. Check out the morning from River’s perspective:

IMG_1341Although this is my first GoPro helmet-cam, it isn’t my first helmet-cam, nor is it my first GoPro. Over a decade ago, I rigged up a helmet-cam by mounting a spy camera in a headlamp with wires and batteries that hung off my head and led down to a full size camcorder that was stashed in my backpack. At the time, it seemed pretty innovative compared to the previous standard of mounting an entire camcorder to your helmet! It also isn’t my first GoPro. Before they became the unanimous leader in point-of-view (POV) digital cameras, they sold inexpensive waterproof film cameras at whitewater rafting gift shops. It’s impressive to see that waterproof enclosure design has barely changed in all these years while the digital technology of today was unthinkable a decade ago. So far I’m really impressed with the Hero2 from GoPro, and I’m thrilled to add it to my camera quiver! You will be seeing lots more footage from in the coming months and years!

No comments: