Saturday, November 26, 2011

New Front Porch

Autumn seems to be drawing to a close in Colorado, and I am happy to have completely wrapped up the reconstruction of my front porch. This was yet another of my many New Year’s Resolutions for 2011 that I’m proud to have finished. As you see in the photo album, I replaced the worn out decking with beautiful redwood and opted for the heartwood which is all red for a very clean look. I finished it with a teak colored stain that blends well with the brown building colors, and I fastened the boards from below which results in a smooth top surface and extra protection against rot, since water doesn’t pool in each of the screw holes on the decking. The railings were also rotted, so I replaced them with durable redwood which was painted brown to conform with the condominium colors. As always, the project required much more energy and time than I expected, but I love the finished product.

No comments: