Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Digital Workflow

I have strived to present the photos, videos, and GPS data from my adventures on this site in my effort to tell my digital. stories. and along the way I have developed a workflow that I typically use. Yes, it is a lot of time, but it is enjoyable and the end result is a very rewarding personal record that I can share with others.

These processes are not set in stone by any means, and I have not had an opportunity to write about all the steps yet in other blog posts. Therefore, this post will be edited and updated as I learn new methods and alter my techniques. I will also try to update the post date each time, so that it moves to the top of my page.

Before each trip, I attempt to do the following:
  1. Set the camera date and time of each of my cameras and those of my compatriots to the correct time. I have not yet determined if using local time is best, since it may cause problems when correlating with GPS data.
  2. Bring extra batteries for each of my cameras and electronics devices.
After each trip for which I have generated substantial photos, videos, stories, and GPS data, I attempt to do the following:
  1. Import (copy) pictures, videos from digital camera to PC using my conventions for filenames, folder structure. Always give files unique names! Otherwise, applications such as JAlbum will get extremely confused with duplicate file names.
  2. Use PixVue and/or MS Pro Photo Tools to add common metadata to entire collection of photos. If the camera times were not correctly set prior to photographing, Pro Photo Tools can easily correct the times assuming you know the correct offsets to apply.
  3. Move all photos into a subdirectory named "All"
  4. Select best photos and copy into the main directory of Step 1. (Note: This subset of photos can also be used to generate a Blurb book or a playable DVD presentation of the photos.)
  5. Add additional metadata (descriptions) to photos as appropriate
  6. Create GPX Trip file.
  7. Use RoboGeo to geotag photos as appropriate
  8. Use JAlbum to generate photo album
  9. Upload the photo album to my server
  10. Use Windows Movie Maker to create a short movie from the various clips and photos
  11. Upload the movie to YouTube
  12. Write blog entry about the subject
  13. Link to photo album from blog entry and photo index page on website

No comments: